The 1970 240Z was introduced to the American market by Yutaka Katayama, president of Nissan Motors USA operations, widely known as Mr. K. The 1970 through the mid-1971 model year 240Z was referred to as the Series I. These early cars had many subtle but notable features differing from later cars. The most easily visible difference is that these early cars had a chrome “240Z” badge on the sail pillar, and two horizontal vents in the rear hatch below the glass molding providing flow through ventilation. In mid-1971, for the Series II 240Z-cars, the sail pillar emblems were restyled with just the letter “Z” placed in a circular vented emblem, and the vents were eliminated from the hatch panel of the car.
The 1970 models were introduced in October 1969, received the L24 2.4-liter engine with a manual choke and a 4-speed manual. A less common 3-speed automatic transmission was optional from 1971 on, and had a “Nissan Full Automatic” badge.
- Engine: 2,393 cc (146.0 cu in) L24 I-6, cast-iron block, alloy head, two valves per cylinder, seven-bearing crankshaft, single overhead cam, 9.0:1 compression; Maximum recommended engine speed 7000 rpm.
- Bore: 83.0 mm (3.27 in)
- Stroke: 73.7 mm (2.90 in)
- Fuel system: Mechanical fuel pump, twin Hitachi HJG 46W 1.75 in (44 mm) SU-type carburetors
- Power: 151 hp (113 kW) at 5600 rpm (SAE gross)
- Torque: 146 lbf·ft (198 N·m) at 4400 rpm (SAE gross)
- Transmission: Four-speed manual, five-speed manual, or three-speed automatic (after September 1970)
- Final drive ratios:
- Four-speed manual transmission: 3.364:1 (37:11)
- Five-speed manual transmission: 3.90:1 (39:10) (not available in US)
- Three-speed automatic transmission: 3.545:1 (39:11).
- Front: 10.7 in (270 mm) discs
- Rear: 9.0 in (230 mm) x 1.6 in (41 mm) drums
- Front: Independent with MacPherson struts, lower transverse and drag links, coil springs, telescopic dampers, anti-roll bar
- Rear: Independent with Chapman struts, lower wishbones, coil springs, telescopic dampers
- Steering: Rack and pinion, 2.7 turns lock to lock
- Wheels: 4.5J-14 steel wheels with 175SR14 tires
- Top speed: 125 mph (201 km/h)
- 0 to 60 mph (97 km/h): 8.0 s
- Typical fuel consumption: 21 mpg-US (11 L/100 km; 25 mpg-imp)